Friday, June 2, 2023

Gregory Downs, Burketown and Lawn Hill

Gregory Downs is a bit further west. I was thinking of going into Lawn Hill but the talk around was don't bother. It's not going to be a good season for those folks. The floods trashed the place and the roads apparently. 

Not much more than a Pub and council depot at Gregory Downs. Two options from Normanton. The Normanton-Burketown Rd a mix of gravel and bitumen or via Four Ways and good bitumen all the way. Again, I was talked out of going to Burketown.

Gregory Downs has a good free camp down by the river bridge, spectacular in fact. Birds galore and the fishing can be good as well. The camp site, on the banks, is river gravel and small rocks, 4x4 have no problems. But the VW has traction control that cannot be disengaged, well not that I could work out how. So loose rocks makes life very difficult! 

I just camped the one night but many stay much longer with some elaborate setups. 

Gregory River.
Crystal clear water. 

That's me parked back there somewhere.

Sounds like fun.

Gregory Pub

Yep, can't help myself...